Now that there are so many of us vaccinated this year, everyone is ready to jump on the boat and celebrate summer. Here is a list of top tips to keep in mind if you are headed out on the Highland Lakes this weekend.
- Wear a Lifejacket. There must be enough life jackets on the boat for each passenger. Ideally everyone on the boat should wear one. Children under 13 are required to wear a US Coast Guard approved PFD. There are so many different types of PFD, make sure you have the right life jacket for your activity and make sure it fits.
- Make sure you have Essential Equipment in case of emergency. I always like to have my cell phone too!
- Education – According to TX Parks and Wildlife, If you were born after September 1, 1993 you must complete a Boater Education course to operate a PWC or a boat with 15hp or more. Also it’s just smart to know the rules of the water.
- Don’t Drink and Drive!
- Slow down and use extra caution at night. Nighttime boating can be great fun, especially for checking out fireworks, but make sure all your navigational and running lights are functioning.
- Comply with the capacity of you watercraft. Too many passengers can lead to distraction and dangerous conditions.
- Please be careful and pay attention. You must be vigilant when driving and anticipate other watercraft activity. The lakes have gotten so busy we need to watch out for one another.
For more information on boating laws in Texas, check out https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/